Mammoth grand Prix

This event was definitely a challenge. Not because of the course, not because of how I was feeling but purely because of the weather conditions we faced while we were there.

Laura and I drove to Mammoth from San Francisco on the 18th and arrived to pretty decent weather. The first scheduled training was the next day. We woke to find that it was bluebird but really windy. So windy in fact that training was 3h long and I did my jump run once and it was within the last 15 mins of training. It definitely wasn’t the best conditions to do tricks in but I had looked at the weather forecast earlier and it looked like a blizzard was going to move through.

The forecast was right and we sat in a blizzard fro the next 3-4 days with training sessions being canceled and the qualifying being pushed. The event organizer’s did there best tp make things happen and eventually cam to the conclussion that the best way to go ahead with the event was to run everything on Sunday as it looked like the sun was going to come back out.

Sunday was a huge day, with both Qualifiers and finals all in the 1 day. Training started at 830am and we had 40mins to try and get our run sorted before the event kicked off. I felt great in training and managed to get all my tricks. Before the qualifiers kicked off there was a lot of discussion about if the event should happen or not with how unpredictable the winds were. Eventually they decided to run the event, which I think was the right call.

First run in Qualifiers I managed to land all my rails perfect, then coming into the first jump I could feel a tail wind. I thought I had slowed down enough to make the landing comfortably with my trick. I was wrong. I managed to do a dub 12 about 25ft past the sweet spot and I landed on my back knocking the wind out of myself. Definitely not what I had envisioned for my first run of qualifiers.

I’m not going to lie, going into the 2nd run of qualifiers I was really nervous. All I wanted to do was make finals and I would be stoked. I managed to put my run down and it was enough to put me through to the finals.

Finals were crazy. I planned on doing a run I had never done before and one I wanted to do for the last 3 or so years. I wanted to do 3 double cork 12′s on the jumps. I managed to stomp the first run, although not as clean as I would of liked it. It was still enough to put me in 3rd going into the 2nd run.

2nd run I landed everything perfect until I got to the last jump. I got a gust of wind and freaked out in the air. I set a right dub 12 but opened up and tried to stop the rotation as I was so scared. I managed to over shoot and land on my back for a 2nd time that day, knocking the wind out of myself again.

It was definitely painful but I am super thankful that I am ok! The rest of the event was super nerve wrecking. I was in 3rd and there was another 6 people to drop after me. One by one the scores came in and I was somehow holding onto the 3rd place position. Then the last rider, Oystein Braten, put down and epic run and bumped into 3rd, putting my into 4th position.

Even though it was frustrating to be so close to the podium, I am still super stoked with the result and even more stoked that I was able to land the run I had been dreaming of for a while :)

The View from my room wasn’t bad at all.

Waiting for my score after the 1st run of finals

The Video below isĀ  my crash in the last run of finals. It definitely wasn’t nice on the body:

Time to rest the body!


Posted by & filed under skiing.